Monday, July 26, 2010

Not Good News

Oh, what a day. Our appointment/ultrasound was this morning. Our biggest hope was to see either less fluid or for amount to stay the same. While the tech was scanning the chest, I could see two pockets of fluid but was really hoping I was just seeing something different. Dr. S. came in, and he talked quite a bit about what was going on. He was not expecting a dramatic change in a week, but not only was there more fluid on the left lung, there is now also fluid on the right lung. We are just shocked and baffled. Dr. S is too. He called our pediatric cardiologist to confer with him. He just does not understand how something as small as a coarctation of the aorta could be causing this, and he wants Dr. S to look into different avenues, which he was doing already. Dr. S is calling it Hydrops, but what is causing the hydrops is unknown. I had labs drawn to recheck my blood type and RH sensitivity, and also to check for previous infections (CMV, Parvo virus, and Toxoplasmosis) and another test but the name was really strange so I do not remember what it is called. He is just really concerned. He wants to do an amniocentesis to check for infection. The great thing about already having had a chromosome study is that we for sure have one less reason to worry. He is also conferring with a couple of other doctors that do fetal surgeries to see about possibly placing a shunt to drain the fluid. We discussed the strong potential of delivering this baby early, looking at weeks instead of the months I thought I would have. I will be six months along on the the 13th of August. And I will be 25 weeks this Friday. We discussed looking at steroid shots to develop our little guy's lungs, but I am utterly terrified delivering such an early baby. I will be having another c-section pretty much for sure. So again, there are so many unknowns and we just do not know where to go or what to do or think. Having an early baby is pretty scary, and when you add any other problems, it just makes it that much more terrifying.  We are just shell-shocked for now. I feel like throwing up, because it just kills me to think about saying goodbye to another child. We truly are trying to hold onto hope that he will be okay, but there almost comes a point after you get knocked down time after time that it is hard to get up, and even harder to fight. I am going to sign off and try to sleep. I feel so worn out.

25 comments:

  1. Oh Emily! I am heartbroken you guys have to go through this. Praying so hard for your little family and especially for your sweet baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and your little one will be in our prayers -- I'm sorry you're having to deal with all this uncertainty and scariness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, sweetie our hearts and prayers are with you in your journey. Many here in Arizona that have followed your stuggle joined in your fast yesterday, so please know the love that is felt for your beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Emily! I don't even know what to say! I'm praying right now that all the awkward things I do say here come across with all the love and kindness that I mean them to have, as I do not wish to add to the heartache you are already feeling! We fervently hope and pray along with you that you will not have to say another goodbye. After reading about all the stress you have been through, and are going through, and even though you have claimed yourself broken, I can't help but think how very strong you are, that although your family is surrounded by so many unknowns and so many fears, that you haven't given up! We love you, and will continue to pray with all our might for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so sorry!!! I will be praying for your family and especially your baby!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sorry. So so sorry. If there was ANYTHING I could do, I'd do it.

    I'm praying for your sweet baby. I'm praying for you and mike too. This is so tough. Even though you feel weak and broken, you are handling this better than most.

    Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so sorry you have to go through any of this. I'll be saying lots of prayers for you and your little one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so sorry you received more bad news today.
    My sister delivered a baby 3 months early 58 years ago. It was scary , but he grew into a very strong man. Modern science has come along way, so do not worry too much about earlier than expected delivery. They can keep a closer watch on your little one.
    I will pray for all the fluid to be gone. I do believe in miracles and I think you are truly due for one.
    Sleep tight

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just wanna say it, because I don't understand sometimes...

    Why does this have to happen?

    Gah, I am sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Emily,

    I am a long time follower of your blog but first time to leave a comment.

    You and your little one are in our thoughts and prayers.

    I wish we all could do something to ease your worries.

    sending many many LOVE your way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't imagine what you are having to go though. I will say a prayer for you and your lo and family. May God give you all strength that you need during this time.

    My lo arrived early due to pre e, at 32 w 6 days but was more the size of a 29-30 weeker due to sever iugr, and she was a fighter from day 1. Preemies are fighters,and if he ends up coming early know that he will be in good hands, they will do all they can for you and your lil guy.

    Today she is a very happy 20 month old!!

    Again my prayers are with you .

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am just so sad. It isn't fair!!! I just want you to know I am thinking about you all. That I wanted to call and find some words to make it better. But, all I can come up with is... I am sorry...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so sorry you are going through another pregnancy with uncertainty. Our prayers are with you, the doctors and that precious little guy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Emily,

    I was hoping to read different news today. I am so sorry.

    Would it be okay to spread your blog address out to friends/family so we can all pray for you? I want to flood heaven with prayers for your family. Let me know.

    Also, I just mailed you a little something today. I hope it finds its way to you soon and gives you strength.

    April

    ReplyDelete
  15. Seriously Em.....why oh why do horrific things happen to such AMAZING people, and why oh why does it happen more than once, more than twice???? Honestly it's just NOT fair! We love you guys! Lot's and Lot's of prayers for you and your sweet little babes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've been thinking of you every day Emily. I sometimes find myself going back to that heart stopping moment when you hear there's something wrong and I just HATE IT. I can't imagine having to go through it again and I will continue to hope and pray that things change; that there's a solution and this nightmare can finally end. I want you to wake up with a big smile on your face and your beautiful baby boy in your arms, smiling right back at you. That's what I will envision and pray for every day and night.
    Big hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so sorry to hear that you are going through this. I don't know why it always seems to hit one family really hard. You are in my family's prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I believe in miracles, I am so so sorry for your cute family. I have taken care of some pretty neat kids in the NICU 24 weeks old they are amazing fighters and have beaten all odds. I will be praying for you and crying with you. You are loved don't forget that.

    ReplyDelete
  19. My heart aches for you guys. Thank you for keeping us all updated. I think about you guys a lot and I'm praying for you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Like so many others, I am deeply touched by your sweet family. I wish I had words to take away the hurt and pain you are going through.
    You are amazingly strong and loved beyond imagination.
    I truly believe that every heartache will one day be made whole.
    May you and your little ones find peace and comfort.
    You are in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Emily, we are so sorry to hear this. We will continue to pray for you and your family. We love you.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm so sorry!
    Con cariƱo.
    Silvia.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh I am just sick inside thinking about you and your baby. I pray that the doctors will discover and be able to correct the things that are going wrong. Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  24. Emily - I am so very sorry. You are such wonderful and deserving parents. I can't understand why this is happening. Sending love from my family to yours.

    ReplyDelete