Monday, July 19, 2010

Crappy, Crappy Day

I feel as though I am going to bust. I have laughed today so as to keep from crying. We had our perinatology appointment today. The tech scanned us, things looked good from her end. Our Dr. just got back from vacation today, so was actually on the phone with our cardiologist right before he came in. He could not believe this baby had a coarctation, and so his focus was trying to get some shots of the heart. Now coarcs are very difficult to diagnose while in-utero, and the baby was not in a good place for our doc to see the aorta fully. He scanned around, when he showed us something pretty concerning. The baby has what is called a pleural effusion  around his left lung, which set right alongside the heart. This is very concerning for a 23 week baby to already have a pleural effusion. He has two huge worries. The first is that this baby could potentially be in heart failure. When he said these words to us, I lost it. The second worry is that the pleural effusion is the beginning of a condition I do not understand or know very much about called hydrops. But what hydrops does is it can cause pockets of fluid around the heart, lungs, stomach, etc, causing the baby to need be born early  the baby is sick. And when you mix a heart defect in there, it is just scary. There are so, so, so many unknowns right now, and I truly feel like I have been fried. I have been told that to have three children with such significant problems is just insane, nearing impossible. I have to start going to perinatology weekly for now, and I really feel like we will be living at Primary's again sadly. I need some quality carbs right about now (I am thinking some Olive Garden) and just feel like we wish we knew more, could understand why this is happening, and what to expect. But none of that will be answered anytime soon. There is the possibility that this baby could come pretty early, potentially within weeks, which terrifies me. I guess I had better get to nesting. We are just praying that this baby will be as healthy as possible. I hate the unknowns. I hate not being able to plan or understand. We are in the waiting game.

26 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness. I am so sorry to hear this. You guys are such strong people. I hope the best and I wish I could comfort you in these times, but I know that no amount of comfort from me can ease the pain in which you feel. I pray that God will keep His arms wrapped around you at this time and the the baby feels nothing but love. You are in my thoughts and prayers as you face this trying time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow Emily! =( I'm so sad. I can't imagine the worry and craziness that you and Mike are facing and will be facing soon. I'm so sorry. I wish I could do or say something to help, but I don't think there's anything to ease your pain...I'm praying for you. Good luck ~ Love ya!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Emily, hang in there. Hoping for the best and keeping you guys in our prayers.

    Hugs & Prayers,
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  4. This makes me so mad and sad. It can't happen again to you guys! I really hope praying will help things to turn out for you and your baby. That he can grow up healthey and happy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know that I don't know you well, but I look in on your blog from time to time and this news broke my heart for you!! Let's hope that it is not the case! If you guys are open to exploring options, a good friend of mine had a baby that had hydrops and a heart condition and they sought treatment in utero in Boston...maybe it is a possibility to keep your little one growing and healthy?? All the best!

    Alli
    mom to Grant

    ReplyDelete
  6. Emily.. I am SO sorry!! I wish there was something I could say to help, but there are no words. There is a reason you are given such special angels to care for. It's still too much for one family to bear.

    You are in our prayers and I wish I could give you a big hug right now. I'd go carb wild with you too!

    I've heard of hydrops before but I don't know much about them. Rest and take it easy and hopefully that baby will stay put!

    ((Hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dang it guys. I am so sorry. If you guys need me, you know where to find me. I will put you guys in my prayers and know that you are in my thoughts constantly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are no words to express how sorry I am that you are dealing with this! I wish you had the answers that you want! I am so so sorry. Please let me take Collin so you can go to the temple. Please let me bring you dinner, or come over here for dinner. I'm sure my kids antics would help take your mind off of your worries for at least a minute. But bare minimum, I'm praying for your baby to heal and live. And praying for your heart to be filled with peace.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sorry about the worrisome news you heard today. I did not realize you were related to little Gracie. I have been praying for her and watching her blossom through her blog. I just wanted to let you know that I will pray for your little one and also for you and your husband.

    God Bless you all

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so sorry. Hang in there, I know its easier said than done. Know that you have a wonderful support group that loves you. We are here for whatever you need. Please keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't really know how to say how sorry I am that you are going through this...it makes me so upset for your whole family. I can't imagine what you all are going through emotionally right now...I don't want to imagine it because it breaks my heart. I will continue praying that the pleural effusions clear up on their own real soon. I am praying for you to get some rest and hear some good news at an appointment soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so sorry to hear this.
    I wish you all the best. You deserve it.
    Con cariƱo.
    Silvia.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Emily,
    You don't know me, but I just read your post in Baby Center and left you a message (lanaijen). I know how you feel...I'm in the waiting game, too. Our baby girl has an interrupted aorta, and if she comes early, it's almost a certain death sentence. They have already warned us about fetal demise, hydrops, early delivery. So, so scary and sad. My heart goes out to you, and I will be praying for you as well as for our little one. -Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sorry, Emily. Everything seemed to be going so well. Hoping for a miracle.

    ReplyDelete
  15. WHAT you guys??? Are you serious? All I can say is that Heavenly Father TRULY thinks you two are such special people to take care of such amazing kids! Wow Em.....my prayers are with you guys that it ends being okay. I cannot even begin to imagine the feelings that you are feeling. Please know we love you both and that we will be thinking the best okay. HUGS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. man, I can't even find the right words, because honestly there probably isn't anything that will ease your pain right...maybe Olive Garden might help though. ;)

    sending loves and prayers to you. you are such a strong woman.

    ReplyDelete
  17. NO! This can not be happening!!!

    I put baby G's (and you and your husband's-I know them from your previous blog-hope that is okay) name on our local temple role tonight.

    I would love to send you a little something if you would consider giving me an address (or po box?) Someone reached out to me when I needed it and it meant so much. I told myself that I would always take the oppurtunity to reach out to someone else. Please email me at amgreener1214@hotmail.com

    I'm so sorry, we will pray and pray and pray for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my gosh! I don't even know what to say. Sorry just isn't enough, and I'm sure it doesn't help. We'll keep praying and hoping.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am so sorry! My heart is aching right now for you guys! I have often said that if I someone would just tell me what to expect, what doctor to go to at what time and what treatments to pursue that I could do this. I hate the unknowing for you. Keep your head up and we will pray for the best!

    ReplyDelete
  20. We're praying for you guys! We love you and love this new baby and we hope everything will be okay. We would LOVE to take you guys to Olive Garden, so we should get together. Hang in there...

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm so sorry you are going through all this again. I found your blog from the Baby Center heart board and wanted to let you know we are praying for you here! *hug*

    ReplyDelete
  22. Emily,

    There isn't anything else that I can say other than I will keep you in my prayers.

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my goodness! I will keep you guys in my prayers! I am so sorry you are going through such stressfulness. Much love!

    ReplyDelete
  24. So Sorry :( I will be praying for you, your family and your little baby boy! Sending you love, Kelsi

    ReplyDelete
  25. I haven't been able to check blogs in several days and just saw this post this evening.

    I have been following your blog since you were working to bring Collin home.

    I was heart-broken to read your post.

    I am praying for you, your family, and your littlest one.

    ReplyDelete