Sunday, July 11, 2010

Feeling Broken

I do want sympathy or judgment on this. And I know Mike is going to be shocked to realize I posted something so personal, but this is my outlet. I think I am broken. I am not sure how to fix myself, and maybe I never will be fixed, but it seems like so much of life is just fake. I am not a perfect person. I am not sure I ever will be. I was pretty well stitched together before such extreme pure grief came into my life. And than 13 months later, it hit again. People tell you to move on, that time eases the pain and grief. Grief is a process. There is no set time limit on grief. I am pretty good at faking it till I make it. And much of my happiness is true and real, but I never really show what I feeling deep down inside. And really and truly, much of my happiness seems stacked on such poor foundation that I always fear the happiness is about to teeter off. It scares me to even write this. Because like another angel Mom, I feel judged writing something even like this.

I know everyone is a little crazy/neurotic on some level. And some people are able to hide the craziness a little better. But sometimes that crazy is let a little loose and you are left with something like this. I do not like to be fake. Nor do I like fakeness in others. But since I lost Lilly and Ryker I have changed. I do find joy in life. But I am also angry. I am angry to have lost two precious, precious people in my life. I did not go to the movies until about 18 months after we lost Ryker. Why, you ask? It is because I was angry that people could find such simple enjoyment and fulfillment in something so inconsequential. I love God, and I am grateful for the blessings I do have, but there is also a part of me that is always asking "why me? Why us? Why them? Don't you know I can not handle that? Don't you know how much I am hurting? Why did I have to say goodbye to my babies and yet you allow so many others that are unfit to have child after child?" I am hurt, I am angry. I loathe myself for feeling this way. I hate being the fake person I am. I hate pretending. 

I remember growing up in Ohio, and there was a family that was in our ward and they constantly acted sad and sullen. They had a little girl who passed away when she was very little from choking on a small toy. But I look at them, and although they were good people, and I was very little, I remember thinking that they looked and acted broken. And little did I know that I would be much the same. Do not think me ungrateful, because this is not what this is about. I have a hard time doing the spiritual things in my life. I think a lot of times the gratitude I do have to God is outweighed by my being hurt and angry that the world and my life is what it is, and I do not have the control to change what happens.  I do pray, but sometimes I wonder if my prayers are truly heard. Besides it being very hard to take Collin to church and have him sit for three hours, church is something I used to love to do and now find hard to do. I go with Mike every other week, but the weeks he is not there, I do not desire to go. Because I know that I will have to put on the happy persona, that I will have to grapple alone with a little boy that does not understand how to be quiet or reverent, and that people expect me that after nearly three/four years of losing our children, I should have moved on. I feel like I will end up crying the whole time, because I am tired after working the last couple of days prior, and when I am tired, my emotions gets the best of me. And than I feel the self-loathing from being so far from perfect, as so many other just seem to have perfected: the art of being perfect.

I know many others loved Lilly and Ryker, but what does it seem like Mike and I so often are the only ones that miss them? I feel like much of my grief is spent in the arms of husband. Maybe people think of them, and maybe others just think it will make us sad remembering them and reminding us, but one of the worst things as a parent who has a lost a child (especially one that is young) is for them to be forgotten. I feel like so much is expected of such a broken individual that I am. I show pictures on the computer to Collin, and today I was going through a group of pictures labeled "camera card one" which is the card that has the pictures of Ryker when he was passing and than passed. That was a very hard day. I do remember the peace we felt. But the time we had with Ryker were truly anything but peaceful. One moment in particular was one of my top three lowest moments of my life. And looking at the pictures today, and the pictures of our niece Gracie when she was born and so sick, I was really saddened. I really hope this baby is born heart healthy. But one of the parts of going through what we have gone through is that you become this sort of pessimistic/realistic person. I do not want to go back to Primary Children's Medical Center.  I do not want to hand my child over to the hands of surgeons and nurses. It makes me angry to even think about having to spend one day with this little boy there. I want a healthy baby. I want to be able to have my son in my hospital room, to be able to hold him and feed him, and do what I want with him. I do not want to be told not to touch or talk to him because his blood pressure is too high. I do not want to deal with nurses who are sub-par comparatively to their counter-parts. I want to be able to just change my little boy. I want him to be able to wear whatever clothing we want to put him into. And I want to just enjoy my child, not living in fear of the what-if's.

I understand that much of what I am feeling is contributed to the never-ending grieving process. Does that make any of what I feel/experience any easier? Certainly not. I know that there are many others sadly that can relate to this. I am not sure what will come of putting it out there, other than scaring people away. But this is who I am. This is the person I am. I am ever-evolving, changing all the time. I am not the same person I was 6 years ago when I was about to get married. Nor am I the same person I was three years ago when I said goodbye to my son as he passed from this world. And I do not want to be. Nothing is ever the same. Sometimes I wish it was. I am going to stop writing now, and maybe go take a nap, wake up, maybe feeling better and a little less angry. I am just putting these feelings out there, because I realize life is not hunky-dory happy all the time. Grief is part of life. A really hard part at that. I worry about  people who do not show emotion. But than I wish I was better at keeping it perfectly bottled in. I am who I am, and what you see is what you get. Even if I do have to fake it enough to get through the day.

Here is something I will try to be happy about today: my baby is growing and kicking harder. 
And he had his first case of hiccups this week.

25 comments:

  1. I wish I had something grand to say that would help with your pain, but I know nothing will help. I think of your two perfect babies often and their two wonderful parents. You both have great strength, and I think you should feel the way you feel every now and then. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's nothing I can write that you haven't heard before or that wouldn't sound hollow or not-helpful; just know that I think you are an amazing person, and you shouldn't expect any 'more' of yourself -- your grief and pain are real and your own and you are, and will continue, to find your way on your path; and I thought this post was amazingly written and truly thought provoking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! I was just thinking of you today and wondering about how your little boys are doing! Luke's mom was asking about you guys, she thinks of you all often.

    Like the 2 before, I don't have anything new or profound to add. I think it sucks. And though I don't really know you guys, and didn't get to meet your angels, I think about you often. I haven't had the same experiences, but I have grieved over the past year. First with my FIL passing and then with Maddox not being healthy. I have been angry for a long time now, and just realized that's what it was. No one else has been where you are, everyone's trials/experiences are different. It's not fair for anyone to make you feel bad for grieving or being angry. I think it's part of the process. It'll never go away (in this life) and it will always hurt. But, I know that the Savior understands and I'm sure He has helped you and will continue too. That doesn't mean you have to pretend to be happy or fake it. Also, as much as it doesn't help, people don't usually mean offense. They just don't know how to respond because they don't understand. I hope that you are able to find more peace, but you will never stop missing or wanting your babies. Thank Heaven for Forever Families!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Life isn't fair. It sucks. And you have had far more than your share of heartache and grief.

    Those who judge you haven't walked in your shoes. They no nothing of your heart.

    Of course you are tired of putting on a happy face for other people. How tiring it is to not be able to be yourself. I hope you never feel that way with me. I would never judge you for having a bad day/week/month etc.

    It is completely normal to feel more vulnerable and emotional when you are so tired! And you have every right to be tired! You work so hard, you have a young busy son, you are pregnant, you carry a great weight on your shoulders all the time. Of course you feel broken! Do not appologize for it!

    And I'm sure, if you are like me, that writting this post was very theraputic. Dispite being scary to put yourself out there, it is very liberating to let it all out.

    You are loved Emily. Don't forget it! You are amazing at what you do.

    And as a side note: Thank you for taking care of my sweet friend and her tiny baby. I'm glad you were their nurse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know that our family loves you no matter what. You could never scare us away....sorry! You are honest and in my eyes that is what counts. Being fake doesnt help anyone. Especialy those that are reading your blog as they go through their own trials. I think the anger is normal. I remember my mom making me leave the hospital to go to the KFC down the street. I sat outside in the parking lot and just stared at the people inside. I was angry that their lives were going on. Didnt they know that just up the street peoples hearts were broken, kids were dying and their families were in a living hell? I guess I just want you to know that although I have not walked in your shoes you have the right to feel what you feel and be honest about those feelings. If people dont like what you write, they dont have to read. I think you are a wonderful person, honest and all. We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is good for people to be honest with their feelings, it gives those who have not lost a child a better idea of what you are going through.

    I hope that the days get easier and that you get your healthy baby!

    Much love,

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing, Emily. It's good to see the other side of coping. I made a comment in Relief Society and ended up crying all because they nonchalantly mentioned one of the trials that some people deal with is a child dying. I was just angry that they could say it so matter of factly and not realize the emotion it would provoke for someon with a child fighting for their life. It's nice to know that you have that side of the coping process as well. Keep close to the Savior and know that we love you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. THank you so much for bravery and honesty. I related to you when you said that it has become difficult to go to church with a young son, then you see so many people who seem perfect and are HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY. I feel this same way... it sucks girl, being sad... I get that way and I have way less to be sad about compared to you. I think of you often!
    Love Amber Lee

    ReplyDelete
  9. You owe no apologies for your feelings, whether they are happy or sad they are yours and be selfish all you want.

    Anytime I have been asked on how to treat someone who is an angel mom I always respond with treat them like their child is still here. We (angel moms) are not delusional. We know our children are not going to be here for Christmas, or their birthdays or to meet their siblings. We know this, but they are still our children, whether here or in heaven. I also tell all angel moms to be selfish. If you want me time, take it, if you want to go to the cemetery 4 times in one day do it. If you want to cry all the time, do it.

    My family didn't buy or do anything for the kids graves on memorial day. I was super bitter. Actually I am still bitter about it. And I don't care. We are allowed to grieve, to be angry, to hate the situations we are finding ourselves in.

    I really don't have much more to add.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You don't know me but my daughter has a heart baby also so I followed this from her blog. I get the broken feeling and the trying to act like nothing is wrong. We had a duaghter who died 27 years ago. We were not there someone else was waching her the anger and the hurt, the depression that you just want your baby back is at times unbearable. All those people around you saying you'll get ovr or you'll have othr children. I say no you will not get over it, you will learn to live with the grief and the pain but you do not get over it. I did have other children but that does not make it so I did not have her that pain and grief of not getting to raise her is still there 27 years later. I do understand the plan of salvation and get that we can be forever family but that does little to take away the everyday pain of burying a child. I rmemeber that after she died I had to move from town to another just to get away from people, I had another small baby but rarely left the house as I wanted to be alone in my greif. Now 27 years later as I watch my daughter deal with this I would do anything to take away her pain. Life does not seem fair but recently I was talking to my stake president and he said that maybe we have gone trough so many trials to prepare us for the bigger trial if that is the case I have deicded that I don't want any bigger trials. I can not imagine what your pain is like with two children but I know that heavenly father knows you are suffering and just like any parent he would do anything to help you get through this. I will keep you in my prayers and hope that someday you will feel less broken and someday in the future yu will be able to find happines in the simpke things. Time does help ease the pain but the wanting and aching is always there. Keep strong and know that there are lots of people oing through the same thing as you and there is comfort in numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so completely imperfect, I wouldn't dare place any form of judgement on you or anyone else for that matter. All I know from personal relationships with you and Mike is that you are so very lucky to have each other. Em, keep your head up. I am sorry. I wish I had something better to say. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You should never feel like you have to be fake. Your experience and sharing it with others really helps us grow as people. There is no time limit on grieving and if it take you 1 month, 1 year, or 10 before you feel like you can move on that that is your experience. You would be surprised how many of us fake it at times and for the sake of others we do not share how we are truely feeling. I think others proably do miss your children, but just do not say so because they are trying to be strong for you. Also, they just might not have as close as connection to them as you and your husband do. You are not broken. You are normal. Heavenly Father loves all of us, so much so that he gave his only Begotten Son. Can you imagine watching your child suffer as he was hung on the cross by not just others but your other children. I can't imagine! It is hard to surrender to the Lord everything we have -that is the human side of our experience. It is not an easy one. You are not alone when not wanting to go to church with a toddler we all struggle with this. At times it is not fun at all; but it does get better. I promise. Hugs from Georgia.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad that you have a place to vent. It helps to write the feelings down. I know what you mean about feeling broken. I too find it hard to "be happy" and do things like go to the movies. You are not alone, although it feels that way. I'm sorry. I am glad that your baby is getting strong and you can enjoy all the precious moment while he is still growing inside. I love that!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for sharing such honest thoughts and feelings. That helps families who are experiencing similar situations know that they aren't the only ones, and it helps the rest of us understand a tiny bit better. And hopefully it helps you to write it out.

    I found my way here from the BB VBAC Support board. Look forward to following your story there. Sending you and your family the very best thoughts and wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I read your blog through a heart baby friend of mine. I hope you don't mind me posting. Just recently I lost a baby. It ended early on in the pregnancy and so I do not think I have come close to feeling your pain, but I felt like I should share. I really hope you don't mind. When I was thinking about why I went to relieft society and had the biggest changing moment. It has not taken away the pain, but I look at life compeletly different. It helps me to be happy. When talking about Christ someone had mentioned he was always about His Fathers buisness. It hit me. That is why I went through it. That is why I have any trial. It is because I am about my Fathers business. I knew right then I would need it someday. I would need it to fullfill His business. Mothering, being a wife, fullfilling a calling and all the trials I am given and not for me. They are for me to do my Fathers business. Somehow it has melted that bitter pain. There is pain don't get me wrong, but it went from being bitter to bearable.

    I know you don't need to hear this from me. You are so amazingly strong. But the thought would not leave my mind that I should share. You are so strong and amazing to me. Please know that I have learned so much about being faithful through you. I am sorry you have this pain and ache to hold your babies again one day. What a glorious day that will be! Take care and I hope this comment was okay to write to you. Thanks for all you share!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Emily, I am so sorry sweetie, I know how hard it is to loose your newborn. I can't even begin to imagine how hard it is to loose your first 2 newborns... :( Please know that I don't think you are broken. I love that you are honest, we have to be honest with ourselves in order to heal. There is a piece of me that will always be broken until I hold my baby Colette again. I know this, and even if other don't understand it, I know it in my heart to be true. Like you, now that I have lost a child, I look at others who have never known such a loss and I look at how blissfully happy their life is. They don't have the knowledge that we do that you can be pregnant and not end up taking a baby home. It's a hard knowledge to have, but perhaps one day it will help us to help others who have also lost babies. Something this profound and life changing has to be for a reason is what I keep telling myself. I would like to share two quotes with you if you don't mind. They have helped me a lot in my hard days of missing Colette, I hope that they help you as well.

    Joseph Smith, Jr. “The Lord takes away many, even in infancy, that they may escape the sorrow and evil of this present world. They were too pure-too lovely to live on this earth.” He then added “Instead of mourning….we have reason to rejoice.”

    Joseph B. Wirthlin: The Principle of Compensation. “The Lord compensates the faithful for every loss. That which was taken from those who love the Lord will be added unto them in His own way….. The faithful shall know that every tear today will eventually be returned a hundred fold in tears of rejoicing and gratitude.”

    Our babies will receive
    "The Crown without the conflict."

    But I know that it still hurts!!!

    I am so sorry that this baby has some complications :( I would give anything for you to be able to have a normal pregancy/delivery, and then go home with your baby in the car seat. I wish there was something more I could do. I know that I don't know you very well but just knowing that you were standing in the hall of the hospital while I was leaving to go home empty handed, and knowing that you know Colette's story makes me have a special place in my heart for you! If you ever need anything, I would love to help, please e-mail me sometime when you have a chance I would love to hear from you.
    Julia@eleganceinphotography.net

    ReplyDelete
  17. More than anything Emily you need to realize what an example you are to all of us!! I cannot even begin to imagine the pain and suffering that both you and Mike have felt and your honesty is so appreciated. It is life, we all have our bad days and our hard times, but never have I seen someone have the trials that you both have had. You always have inspired me Em.....and have been such a source for Faith. Thanks for sharing your feelings, I wish there was a way I could make it better or say something profound, but more than anything know that we love you guys and you both are the nicest most special people I have ever met. Both Lily and Ryker are as proud as ever watching over you both. HUGS Em....love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Emily,

    You don't know me but I understand your feelings. You see, I had my first daughter born still. I never really got to meet her. I never thought I would get through that time in our lives and yes, even now I have very sad moments wondering what she would be doing now...Would she married now? Babies of her own? The list goes on and on. I am sorry to say that I was one of those that faked it. I was not able to ever express myself like you have done and I am sure this is such a healing part for you. You are loved and especially by your Heavenly Father. I am sure that even now--after four years it seems like there is no reason for any of this to have happened. I just know now how my daughter's short existence has been such a blessing to our family. She was our first as well and it has been amazing at the connection each of my children that came later has to her. They KNOW her and REMEMBER her!! What a blessing to me!! I love to talk to them about her because then I feel closer to her. Collin knows your Lily and Ryker and so will this baby and what a blessing they will be when they tell you little things that they remember about them from before they came down to earth. I promise you that it will get better...it still hurts even 24 years later, but I see the blessing of this bond that my children have with a perfect spirit to help bind our family together--especially when life tries to topple us about!! I pray for you!! The anger will get better, I promise. You just had so much in such a short time that you never were really able to work all the way through it. You will and it will get easier. There are many who love you, support you and are cheering for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Emily,

    I wish I could take away the pain you feel. I have felt it so many times myself. I am grateful that there are people like you in the world - not afraid to be honest with yourself and others. Its ok to be angry and hurt - just remember the peace you did feel and it will come back again it might just take some more time. Love, Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good for you for taking time to be "real". It is so hard to hide what's really there, deep down. Sometimes we just need to release it and work through it.

    I know our pains are similar, but very different. I can't imagine the heartache you've been through. I hope you are able to stand back up and tackle each moment. It's okay to not look at the "long term". Just look at life in the here and now. Get through that first.

    I have been seeing an AMAZING therapist. I don't know if you've looked in that direction, but I know it has helped me so much. I am understanding myself so much better. I am also understanding the world so much better. It has made a huge difference in my life. I would love to share with you the name of my therapist and his contact info. I am a huge advocate for therapy. I think it's amazing, so long as you have the right one.

    Emily, you are a strong person. Even in your "weak" moments, you are so strong. Your children, ALL of your children, are so blessed to have you.

    Sending warm thoughts your way.

    ReplyDelete
  21. " I think of the chimp, the one with the talking hands.
    In the course of the experiment, that chimp had a baby. Imagine how her trainers must have thrilled when the mother, without prompting, began to sign her newborn.
    Baby, drink milk.
    Baby, play ball.
    And when the baby died, the mother stood over the body, her wrinkled hands moving with animal grace, forming again and again the words: Baby, come hug, Baby come hug, fluent now in the language of grief."
    — Amy Hempel (The Collected Stories of Amy Hempel)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I know nothing of your pain nor do I judge you on any level for feeling the way you do. like others said your feelings are yours, real and valid. I think one of the best tools satan posses in his tool belt is that of thinking everyone else is PERFECT! We all judge our selves on our Tuesdays worst to their Sunday BEST! No one is perfect that is the whole part of the purpose of the atonement.
    Also just wanted you to know that even though you don't know me, I think about you and your angels. I know this might sound silly but I just thought I should tell you. I make and sell hair accessories and I named one of my flowers for your Lilly. I even made sure to spell it with two l's just thought you might like to know that :) you can see it at www.bowsandmore.blogspot.com
    Also I think that being real with your feelings is not only helathy but also assist others in feeling a sense of okness. I tell people all the time I am the best friend to have because you can leave my house feeling so much better about your life. I feel at times I am a complete mess, and I am the only one in the world who can't do it all and be PERFECT! It really is funny when you think about it that we are not supose to be perfect or we would be! Anyway I am just rambling on here and I know you really don't even know me but I am still going to say hi to you anyway :) I am a stranger but I am really not all that strange once you get to know me LOL! Take care, Kelsi

    ReplyDelete
  23. It feels amazing to read your words and hear my own feelings finally written down clearly. I've tried many times to explain what it feels like to lose your children; if not to others, at least to me, and I thank you for doing better that I ever could. Everything; from the anger, to the isolation, to staying away from church is unbelievably similar to my journey of grief. All I can say is I am with you in spirit and know exactly what you feel. I know exactly the person you've become, because I am that as well. I have high hopes for our babies in our bellies and will feel in some way finally redeemed when we both have our healthy, live babies in our arms. It's been too long a journey and we've had enough pain. Big hugs from L.A.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sending you (HUGS)! You are not broken, but in the midst of trials that the Advisary works hard in having us believe we are broken and there is no Hope.
    Just know I care and think that you are awesome in every level.

    (HUGS)
    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  25. I don't know if you watch them, but on mormonmessages.com Motherhood: An Eternal Partnership with God and Good Things to Come by Holland. Those made me feel better and I think it will help. Love you!

    ReplyDelete